I did Week 1, Day 2 of Couch to 5K on Thursday. It went well.
Maybe a little too well.
I did the workout at my dad’s gym — I got a free trial membership for a week there — at about 1 PM, alone. I’m aware that I did my Day 1 on Sunday, and that’s three days in between workouts, rather than one or two. What can I say? I’m a stay-at-home parent of a toddler who doesn’t have reliable babysitting. I did it as soon as possible, and that was Thursday.
But it really seemed almost… too easy. Like I wasn’t pushing myself as hard as Krista pushed me. I was on a treadmill, since there was no indoor track, and I didn’t feel like running outside (maybe when the weather gets warmer here in Central Ohio). I had a hard time at first, because I’m not really used to running on treadmills — like at all — but it was mostly with speeding up and slowing down when I transitioned from running to walking and back.
But I felt it was easier to breathe than it was on Sunday, and my legs didn’t hurt while I was running. I mean, it wasn’t cake, but it certainly felt a lot easier than I figured it should have. Krista said for her, things didn’t get easier until Day 3 of any given week when she did the C25K program.
Then again, the woman I babysit for on Saturday mornings (she’s training for a marathon, and that’s when they run) said it should be easier for me than it would be for someone who’s heavier. I don’t have extra weight that I have to carry around the track or on the treadmill with me. And Krista said before she started running, she had a good 100 pounds on what I am now. So I guess that makes sense.
But even the next day, I had no pain or soreness anywhere in my body at all. What’s up?
Fitness Plan Journal:
- Went to bed at midnight last night. I woke up at 8:50 AM physically feeling pretty good, weighing in at 106.0 pounds.
- I ate breakfast at 9:40 AM: 24 Kellogg’s Frosted Mini Wheats, Bite Size, with 1/2 cup Kroger 2% milk, and felt satisfied afterward.
- I was thirsty at 10:30 AM, so I drank 8 oz. water and my thirst was quenched.
- I was hungry again by 11:00 AM and ate the last 1/2 cup Kroger small curd cottage cheese, and was just satisfied, so I drank 4 oz Kroger 2% milk and felt full.
- I was hungry again by 1:10 PM. After fixing lunch for my son and myself, I ate a sandwich at 1:25 PM consisting of: 2 slices Private Selection (Kroger’s “posh” brand) sliced Genoa salami, 1 1/2 slices Private Selection hand crafted Provolone cheese, 2 slices S. Rosen’s dark Jewish unseeded rye bread, 1 Tbsp Kroger Classic mayonnaise, and 1 tsp Plochman’s mild yellow mustard, after which I felt satisfied.
- At 2:30 PM I felt very thirsty, so I had 8 oz. water and felt better.
- At 7:55 PM, I was babysitting, and I had a glass of chocolate milk, 2 slices of pizza, a piece of gum, and some SweetTarts.
- Calories: 1042.5
- Calories from Fat: 415
- Total Fat: 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 19.75 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 122.75 mg
- Sodium: 1607.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 118.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8 g
- Sugars: 59.5 g
- Protein: 49.5 g
Not included in this nutritional information are the pizza, gum, and SweetTarts.
Thoughts and Observations:
- Bedtime certainly better than the night before, although I think most nights I’d like to aim for 11:00 PM.
- I forgot to bring the baby monitor upstairs with me when I went to bed last night, so I didn’t hear my son until about 8:45 this morning. I feel like such a bad mom! I haven’t been getting him out of his crib right when he wakes up for DAYS.
- I’m still not sure why I’m losing weight. I’ll have to look closer at this whole week’s worth of journal entries.
- I find it pretty difficult to avoid snacking when people around me are snacking (especially snacks that are less-than-healthy) — for instance, the kids I was babysitting.
- I thought it bore mentioning that I try to be as thorough as possible when describing what I’m eating. This is why I include the brand name, type, amount, etc. I am not receiving payment or reimbursement of any kind from any of these brands, manufacturers, distributors, etc. I feel it is my obligation to you, as my readers, to provide you with all the information that I have.
Edited to add: I didn’t realize this was still unpublished. This was for the day of Tuesday, January 13, 2010. Sorry!