Fitness Plan Journal:
- Went to bed at midnight last night. I woke up at 8:50 AM physically feeling pretty good, weighing in at 106.0 pounds.
- I ate breakfast at 9:40 AM: 24 Kellogg’s Frosted Mini Wheats, Bite Size, with 1/2 cup Kroger 2% milk, and felt satisfied afterward.
- I was thirsty at 10:30 AM, so I drank 8 oz. water and my thirst was quenched.
- I was hungry again by 11:00 AM and ate the last 1/2 cup Kroger small curd cottage cheese, and was just satisfied, so I drank 4 oz Kroger 2% milk and felt full.
- I was hungry again by 1:10 PM. After fixing lunch for my son and myself, I ate a sandwich at 1:25 PM consisting of: 2 slices Private Selection (Kroger’s “posh” brand) sliced Genoa salami, 1 1/2 slices Private Selection hand crafted Provolone cheese, 2 slices S. Rosen’s dark Jewish unseeded rye bread, 1 Tbsp Kroger Classic mayonnaise, and 1 tsp Plochman’s mild yellow mustard, after which I felt satisfied.
- At 2:30 PM I felt very thirsty, so I had 8 oz. water and felt better.
- At 7:55 PM, I was babysitting, and I had a glass of chocolate milk, 2 slices of pizza, a piece of gum, and some SweetTarts.
- Calories: 1042.5
- Calories from Fat: 415
- Total Fat: 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 19.75 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 122.75 mg
- Sodium: 1607.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 118.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8 g
- Sugars: 59.5 g
- Protein: 49.5 g
Not included in this nutritional information are the pizza, gum, and SweetTarts.
Thoughts and Observations:
- Bedtime certainly better than the night before, although I think most nights I’d like to aim for 11:00 PM.
- I forgot to bring the baby monitor upstairs with me when I went to bed last night, so I didn’t hear my son until about 8:45 this morning. I feel like such a bad mom! I haven’t been getting him out of his crib right when he wakes up for DAYS.
- I’m still not sure why I’m losing weight. I’ll have to look closer at this whole week’s worth of journal entries.
- I find it pretty difficult to avoid snacking when people around me are snacking (especially snacks that are less-than-healthy) — for instance, the kids I was babysitting.
- I thought it bore mentioning that I try to be as thorough as possible when describing what I’m eating. This is why I include the brand name, type, amount, etc. I am not receiving payment or reimbursement of any kind from any of these brands, manufacturers, distributors, etc. I feel it is my obligation to you, as my readers, to provide you with all the information that I have.
Edited to add: I didn’t realize this was still unpublished. This was for the day of Tuesday, January 13, 2010. Sorry!
Really feeling the effects of Sunday’s Couch to 5K today. Ick. (I am SO not a runner.)
- I went to bed at a decent time Sunday night, about 11:45 PM, and woke up this morning at about 8:20, still feeling tired and hungry. Laid in bed for about five minutes, assessing the soreness in my quads. Weighed in at 106.4 lbs.
- Ate the last 3/4 cup of the Lucky Charms cereal with the last 1/2 cup of Kroger whole milk. Felt just satisfied.
- At 9:20 AM, I noticed my shoulders were starting to hurt in addition to my quads.
- I drank 14 oz. water from my water bottle from 9:30 to 11:15 AM.
- By 11:15 AM, I was pretty hungry. I ate a Braeburn apple at 11:35, and was still hungry.
- I finished the remaining 4 oz. of water in my water bottle (it’s an 18 oz. bottle) and felt a little better.
- At 12:35 PM I ate an egg salad sandwich, consisting of 2 large eggs, hard-boiled, 1 1/2 tsp Plochman’s yellow mustard, 1 tbsp Kroger classic mayonnaise, and 2 slices of Kroger whole wheat bread, toasted. Felt very satisfied.
- I was hungry again by 4:30 PM, and ate a small snack of 6 pieces of chocolate (these are really small chocolates, folks — the serving size listed on the back of the package is 12 pieces).
- I was a little hungry when dinner was ready at 5:30 PM. I ate 1 1/2 Ruben sandwiches (of my own design, as I like neither saurkraut nor Swiss cheese): 3 slices of S. Rosen’s dark Jewish unseeded rye bread, 3 slices of corned beef, and 3 slices of provolone. I also had about a serving and a half of steamed broccoli with 2 tsp Buitoni shredded parmesan cheese on top. I drank 3 oz. of water with dinner, and afterward felt quite satisfied.
- I had another 10 oz. of water after dinner, but wanted a treat around 9:00 PM, while I was watching t.v., so I made some chocolate milk. I still wanted a little something, so I poured a bowl of cereal. I was now out of Lucky Charms and whole milk, so this time it was 24 Frosted Mini Wheats with Kroger 2% milk. I now felt satisfied.
- Later on, probably around midnight or so, I was hungry again, although it may have been heartburn, so I ate two Pop-tarts, toasted. In retrospect, I probably should have just gone to bed. And I might have had heartburn at 9:00 too.
- Calories: 2290
- Calories from Fat: 711.5
- Total Fat: 76.75 g
- Saturated Fat: 34 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 512 mg
- Sodium: 2813 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 307.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 24 g
- Sugars: 145 g
- Protein: 85 g
Again, I got all my produce information from The Daily Plate, and was unable to include the corned beef in my calculations, as it was from the Kroger deli — deli packages don’t list nutrition facts.
Thoughts and Observations:
- It must be the sleep cycle thing. Why else would I get 8+ hours of sleep and still not feel ready to get up?
- I was actually pleasantly surprised this morning. I really thought I would be sore all over my body, and it would be pretty unbearable. But I really only felt it in those three places: quads, ankles, and shoulders. Things to stretch better for Workout #2, I guess.
- Why do I keep dropping weight? It’s not usually a good sign for me. It’s usually a sign of stress, leading to being too distracted to eat or even feel hungry.
- I was pretty thirsty today. I’m guessing it has something to do with the total lack of water I had yesterday. Not a good thing to do after exercise.
- Guess I’m still not listening to my body very well if I’m confusing hunger and heartburn. It’s not unusual for me to do, but it certainly doesn’t sound right.
- Sodium: Gaaaack! How am I still alive?!?! Sugar still too high, too. And I really had enough calories for the day without those damn Pop-tarts. No more of those.
How are everyone else’s New Year’s Resolutions and Non-Resolutions coming along? Any diet-related goals going better than mine?
Today was also Couch-to-5K Day 1 for me.
But more on that later.
- Today I woke up at 10:30 AM, since it was my turn to sleep in while my husband got up with our son. I was pretty tired, but only a little hungry. I weighed in at 107.4 lbs.
- Ate breakfast at 11:15 AM, again the usual 3/4 cup Lucky Charms cereal with 1/2 cup Kroger whole milk. I felt satisfied, but not necessarily full.
- At 11:30 AM I decided to finish off the chocolate milk — 12 oz., after which I felt full, but not uncomfortably so.
- At a little after 1:00 PM, I headed out for the Hilliard YMCA to meet with Krista and do the Couch to 5K Day 1 workout. I’m going to write a separate post about that so I can go into more detail without screwing up my tidy system for the journal entries.
- Spent the time from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM changing into workout clothes, stretching, warming up, running/walking, cooling down, stretching again, and changing back into street clothes. At first I felt excited and nervous, and then dread and exhaustion set in as we ran. By the end of it, I was pretty sure I was going to die. I felt both better and worse as the rest of the day wore on.
- I was pretty hungry when I got in my car at 3:00 PM, and ate an avocado as soon as I got home at about 3:45 PM. While I was eating it, I soft-boiled 3 eggs, and then ate those as soon as I finished the avocado. I felt full, but thirsty, and really wasn’t interested in drinking water. I had 4 oz of Kroger whole milk, and then felt FULL.
- We went over to my sister’s house for dinner. While she was cooking, I had a dark chocolate/white mint Ghiradelli square.
- My sister made cornbread chili, a recent quickie recipe of my dad’s. I’ll get the recipe from my dad and post it later. It consisted of cornbread, beans, tomatoes, and ground beef, with a bit of sour cream on the side. We also had French-style cut green beans. I was FULL.
- Drank water from my water bottle all day, but it never reached empty. Wasn’t really thirsty today, except while I was running.
Nutritional information I have for food consumed today (again, all produce information comes from The Daily Plate):
- Calories: 1746
- Calories from Fat: 545.5
- Total Fat: 60.75 g
- Saturated Fat: 23.52 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 712.5 mg
- Sodium: 1984 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 246.65 g
- Dietary Fiber: 24.7 g
- Sugars: 123.83 g
- Protein: 62.5 g
Thoughts and observations:
- I feel like maybe I woke up in the middle of a sleep cycle. So even though I got what should have been enough sleep, I still felt pretty tired.
- I have no idea how I lost a pound and a half, since I pigged out on pizza and Coke last night for dinner. Weird. But I ate much better today, so I’m not too worried about it. If I continue to pig out, then I’ll have to reassess my habits.
- I eat cereal for breakfast every day. I knew that. I just wanted to make you aware that this is completely normal for me, and pretty much has been since childhood. I may think about changing it up a bit, having a hot breakfast on weekends or something.
- It seems that the chocolate milk became more of a temptation than a treat. I want to be able to have treats now and again, but be able to have them around without succumbing to their wiles every day. The chocolate milk was starting to call to me almost every time I opened up the fridge. I’d like to say that my willpower is stronger than that. Sadly, it’s not. It’s something to work on.
- I’m very proud of myself for having the avocado and eggs instead of junk when I was STARVING upon arriving home from my workout. I imagine that those plus the milk was plenty of protein to help build muscle. Or do you have to eat meat for that to work? Oh well, there was beef in the chili.
- Cholesterol seemed very high today. The vast majority of it was, of course, the eggs. But eggs are good for you. As long as I don’t eat 3 of them every day, I shouldn’t have to worry about my cholesterol… right?
- Sodium still very high. Need more whole foods, fewer processed ones, probably.
- Sugar also seemed high again today. No more chocolate milk for awhile.
- I have a headache. I think it’s stress-related, but it could also be that I probably didn’t drink enough water today, especially considering the exercise I did.
- I’m also hungry again. Could be why I have the headache.
Off to find some sustenance. Will update again with those calories, etc.
Edited to add: Felt so stressed that I drowned my sorrows in a couple of Pop-Tarts. The nutritional information above reflects those empty calories and needless sugars.